The Adventures of Steven and Ashley Hall

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Conference and Research

Two weeks ago, I got to go to the Association for Genetic Technologists 32nd Annual Meeting. It was in Denver this year, so my work sent 2 people from each department. No one else in my department wanted to go, so I took up the offer. I figure if this is what I want to do for the rest of my life, I should get as much exposure as I can! It was from Wednesday to Sunday. I was there on Thursday from 1:30 am -530 pm, Friday 7:30 am - 5:30 on, and Saturday from 7:30 am to 10:00 pm. I won't bore you with all the seminars I got to go to. Just know I thought it was really cool! It was a great opportunity for me, and I hope I get to go again. 2008 it will be in Houston, and 2009 in Jacksonville.

I signed up for a neck and shoulder pain study with the Applied Neuromuscular Lab, which is another part of the University that I work for. They are studying what your neck and shoulder muscles do when you are sitting for long periods of time like at a computer (or me at a microscope). Last Tuesday was my first day to see if I was eligible for the study. They did lots of different tests to my neck and shoulders for about 2 hours. They said I was definitely eligible, so my muscles must have been bad! I go back this Thursday, and I think once a week for 4 weeks for "training". They will put electrodes on my neck and shoulders and monitor my muscle movement. When my muscles are too tight, the computer will tell me to relax. If I don't relax, the electrodes will shock the muscle and force it to relax. After I have my "training" to learn how to relax my muscles, I will take the electrodes to work with me and get shocked there. It will pay me $150, and I figure I am going to be sitting at work anyhow, might as well get paid extra and learn how to relax!

~*~ Ashley ~*~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home