The Adventures of Steven and Ashley Hall

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

God sure has a sense of humor


If you notice the date on my Enterprise Rent a Car post you will see that it was Monday 2.18.08. Yesterday (Tuesday 2.19.08) I had to travel to Loveland Colorado for work, which is about an hour north of Denver. I knew that I had to take the Trailblazer
which was not a problem. I slept in to avoid rush hour traffic and took off the ski rack to save gas mileage. It was a nice drive with scenic mountain views and a beautiful 60 degree day. I got to Walgreens with no problem and got in and did the work I needed to do for the upcoming renovation work that I would be providing Construction Documents for. I got back into my car and was debating where to stop for lunch before heading back to Denver. God had other plans for my day. I started the car and the check engine light comes on, which I have grown ignorant of because everytime I drive to the mountains the light comes on as the car doesnt seem like the steep inclines biggest fan! Well normally the light stays on til I am back in Denver but this time... a second light came on and the car completely died. The runtime was about 1-2 minutes. I didnt expect this to happen so I was that idiot that is usally driving a manual for the first time stalling at every stop sign. I looked under the hood and tried to tighten all the connections thinking maybe its just a computer glitch. Then I unhooked the battery for a while and then started the car. Bingo I fixed it! Wrong, what I did was turn off the light for a millisecond. When I didnt see the light I figured I was good and got on a main road to head back home. I called Ashley told her it was fixed and then BAM car died. Not good. Finally I figured there was no way I was getting home in this car and I caved and called GM Roadside Assistance. A tow truck picked me up and took me to the closest Chevrolet dealership. Meanwhile I am sitting next to the driver panically praying that everything be covered by GM as money is tight and there is surely nothing to pay for a huge car bill. Ben my discipler mentioned prayer needs to be specific so God can know your heart and exactly what you wanted. I was making sure he knew I couldnt pay for this! I sat in the waiting room praying constantly that GM would pick up the tab. At that point I didnt care I was an hour away from home or how I was getting home. I was thinking there is no way I can pay for this and still be able to pay our bills. About an hour after sitting in the waiting room the service advisor came over to tell me the computer malfunctioned and everything would be picked up by GM as there is an 8 year warranty on the part. Phew, Thank God!


Phase II. See How God Laughs.

The next thing the service advisor said was your car obviously can not be driven home, so I have set you up with a rent-a-car company that GM will also provide for you. A day after stating I would never use Enterprise again who do you think I was set up with? Enterprise.... Well not to say I wouldnt have rather taken the car from them but I effectively did not give them my service. You see, I was stuck in Loveland and needed to get home, so I was like well its not my money I guess I have no other choice. Well, Enterprise requires a valid drivers liscense.... which I lost mine in September. So Enterprise could not rent to me. Kind of made me happy but an inconvenience none the less. Ashley came up to Loveland to pick me up and we'll have to make the journey with both cars when its finally fixed. But Enterprise wont get paid!

Loveland is about an hour south of Wyoming so Saturday when we are going to get the car we are going to check off another state we've been to. We havent decided what we are going to do but its going to be fun, our ideas include parking 10 feet from Wyoming and having a race to Wyoming, Ice Cream in Cheyenne or we are still looking for a real reason to go.


It was a long day and Im glad it is over, and Im glad it isn't going to cost us!


Update: 2/20/08 Car is complete. Power Terrain Computer Module went bad and I dont owe 1 nickel!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steven,
I am so glad that you let God have the problem! That is all He wanted, anyway... to show you that He CAN!

And what a great thing - the race to Wyoming sounds so fun! Great turn to the story, nice positive ending - i liked it! ; )

loveyoubothtonsandtons,
mammie

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't God good!!!
mam

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story. It is too bad I didn't read this earlier as I could have given you tips of things to do in good ol' WYO! Let me know if you are still looking for things to do up there!

Hope you are doing well! I miss seeing both of you!

Ashley

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home