The Adventures of Steven and Ashley Hall

Friday, December 19, 2008

First Solo Night

Tonight (right now actually, I have 8 minutes left) was my first night volunteering by myself. The other two times I was shadowing someone. This time I was all on my own! I was really nervous before I arrived, shadowing two people didn't seem like nearly enough. On both times, no one even came to the playroom, so I did puzzles to waste time.

When I got in, the first thing I do is get a census sheet from the nurse station. It lists all the patients on my floor. Then I go around to each room and tell them the play room is open if they want to come play, or want me to bring them anything. After that, I went back to the playroom and cleaned up a little bit, then decided to color some Christmas Tree ornaments for a little girl I heard as her very own Christmas Tree in her bedroom :) While I was coloring a little boy and his dad came in. He colored some ornaments with me! My first time getting to play!! I had to hold the ornament while he colored with his wrong hand because it was all bandaged up. He got some on the ornament, some on the table, and a lot on my hand! I talked with his dad a lot, and he greatly appreciated me volunteering. He said I am not only beautiful outside, but inside too. When it was time for the boy to go to bed, his dad whispered for him to give me a hug and tell me Merry Christmas. That is exactly what makes this a wonderful experience, the exact reason I am doing this! :) Totally made my day!

After that I finished my ornaments, played cards by myself, then talked to a mother while her son used the computer. A few other kids came and went quickly, just checking out what the room had. A total of 6 patient visitors on my first night! And one of the best hugs ever :)

Ashley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home